Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Loon Family


The last 2 posts featured the birds that I was able to photograph during our camping trip. However, I suffered through a lot of teasing because everytime I pulled out the camera, the loons would disappear! And I was so determined to get a shot, but I never did before it was time to go home. It took a trip to Shagg Pond, in the neighboring town of Woodstock, yesterday, to get me the shots that I was looking for - with a baby bonus!! I have never even seen a baby loon before!! We couldn't believe it, but he was diving underwater and playing and splashing. It was so cute!! Mama loon would sing for him when he was under for too long - she would get nervous and stick her head down and look for him. I could have stayed there for hours watching them interact. Unfortunately, the fish weren't biting, so my canoe-mates were anxious to try their luck at another pond....

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know when I am in paradise is when the Loon sings.

Curly said...

Hi from South Shields, nice picture you have here today, duck hunting eh?

I need your support, see my latest post at South Shields Daily Photo

Photographers rights in the UK and worldwide are under increasing threat and we need to make a stand now!

Unless something changes dramatically, this will be the last ever post at South Shields Daily Photo.

Jim Klenke said...

I like the necklace.

Small City Scenes said...

What a super photo. And a bonus baby. I would loved to have been there to watch with you. MB

PJ said...

So far my husband has been perfectly patient with my new photo taking fetish every where we go. But I see other people giving me the eye. What's up with her?
Great shot, just wonderful.

Louis la Vache said...

hehehe
When "Louis" saw the title, he thought you were referring to what he has been accused of being: 'a loon,' but then her realized you weren't writing about lunatics...

Halcyon said...

I have never seen a loon before. Those eyes are freaky!

I have a picture of some vanity plates on my blog. Maybe you can aide in my deciphering?