Thursday, May 15, 2008

Sasha


Way back in the fall of 2004, my husband planned a dream vacation for me - trail riding at the Philmont Boy Scout Ranch in New Mexico. He had been there as a Scout leader and really wanted me to be able to see what an amazing place it was. The American Paint Horse Association was planning a 3-day ride, so he started calling people about traveling, accommodations and of course, rental horses. He found a couple that lived just outside the ranch, in Cimarron, who would be willing to rent us a pair of horses. Kitchen, whom you met here, was for my husband to ride and the feisty little Paint mare, Sasha, was for me. We couldn't have found 2 better horses for that mountainous journey if we had searched for years! It was an amazing adventure!! Some of those trails really pushed my limits because I'm such a cautious person by nature, but I was able to put my trust in Sasha. She never took a bad step and kept me safe.

By the end of the 4th day, (We stayed an extra day and rode with Kitch & Sasha's owner around his favorite mountain.) we were very sad to be leaving these wonderful horses. When we asked if we could return and ride them again the following year, they told us that they were planning on selling them. We were heartbroken, until they decided that they had never been to Maine before, and if we paid for gas, they would drive them up to us!! Needless to say, we were thrilled!! Kitch & Sasha arrived in the spring of 2005.

5 comments:

Ineke said...

what a great story and photo

Anonymous said...

Great picture D....I'll be getting a print of that for my horse girl. :)

USelaine said...

What a beauty.

Small City Scenes said...

Peek-a-boo sasha. What a heartwarming story. MB

slim said...

Yes, great story indeed. Wonderful post!